Maxim Integrated MAX31827 Low-Power Temperature Switch provides an ±1°C accuracy from -40°C to +125°C (12 bits) local temperature switch and sensor with I2C/SMBus interface. The MAX31827 switch offers high accuracy in a small 6-bump wafer-level package (WLP), making it ideal for a wide range of applications.
The Maxim MAX31827 Low-Power Temperature Switch can be used as a temperature switch with preconfigured thresholds or a temperature sensor with an I2C interface. When the MAX31827 operates as an independent temperature switch, the I2C interface doesn’t have to be used. Without utilizing the I2C interface, the switch can be used in systems that require thermal protection implemented in hardware, without the need for reconfiguration or use of software/firmware during normal operation. Additionally, the one-time programmable (OTP) ALARM functionality enables the use of the MAX31827 as a safety mechanism in systems where power dissipation is challenging.
The I2C/SMBus-compatible serial interface permits standard, write and read commands to read the temperature data and configure the behavior of the sensor. The bus timeout resets the interface if the clock is low for more than 30ms (nominal), and packet error checking (PEC) helps prevent communication errors when used with a master that supports this feature.
The MAX31827 is housed in a 6-bump WLP and operates over a -45°C to +145°C temperature range.
- Stand-alone temperature switch with preconfigured
- Alarm thresholds and hysteresis
- Active high/active low/open drain ALARM output
- Excellent temperature accuracy
- Maximum ±1.75°C from -45°C to +145°C
- Maximum ±1°C from -40°C to +125°C (12 bits)
- External resistor selects an address for location identification
- Temperature resolution is selectable from 8 to 12 Bits
- Selectable timeout prevents bus lockup (default enabled)
- I2C and SMBus support
- User-defined alarm settings
- Selectable PEC for reliable communications
- Up to 1MHz Bus Speed
- +1.6V to +3.6V Power supply voltage